i thought i was a cat person

I’ve had a couple of pets during my life, but most of them are dead now as they were fish or birds who were eaten or killed by my cat. Currently, I only own a dog and as mentioned before, a cat. Obviously, the whole family cares for both pets, but we each have our preferences; I prefer my cat because I was the one who wanted to get one in the first place. I like dogs too, but only the large kind, so I thought a cat would be a more appropriate house pet, as I had to find one way to convince my mom of allowing it. My dog is some sort of mix of Labrador and Pitbull so he’s fairly large and muscular. When you add in a mix of high energy and stupidity, he can become pretty dangerous and you can begin to see why he wouldn’t be fit to be an indoor dog. Unlike my cat though, he doesn’t mean to be an annoyance or cause harm. As I and my cat have gotten older, he’s started to become more and more of an annoyance and I’ve started to get more and more annoyed.
    The thing he always does without failure is come begging for food even when I know he isn’t going to eat it. He’s extremely persistent about it and most of the time I give in immediately, but I’ve tried ignoring him for up to an hour and he won’t leave my room. I could fill his bowl to the brim with food but he won’t eat it, and it doesn’t make a difference between wet or dry cat food. I must’ve gone through at least 10 different brands and flavors but he barely even eats half of his bowl. He also doesn’t eat, unless extremely hungry, if I don’t stand right next to him. Sometimes he vomits immediately after I feed him too, which is also pretty annoying. I don’t entirely blame him for this though as he could potentially have something affecting him as I’ve started to notice he’s been getting skinnier and losing hair on his underside, so we’ll probably have to take him to the vet soon if it gets much worse. 
What I don’t understand is why he has to move his entire container of water halfway across the room before being able to drink. I know why cats like to see their water move before drinking, but he could be less intense and just dip his paw instead of creating an entire lake in the middle of the kitchen. I don’t mind cleaning things up, but I like walking around my house either barefoot or with socks and it’s not a very pleasant feeling to step on something wet all of a sudden, especially when it’s vomit instead of water.
Another thing that I’m starting to regret getting a cat is their moodiness relative to dogs. The whole reason why I wanted a cat was because they’re usually small, soft, and warm, making it satisfying and relaxing to have their company, mainly through petting or playing with them. Now that he’s gotten older, you would think that he’s bipolar the way I can pet him for a solid minute and then out of nowhere he begins biting me. And when he gets mad he seriously gets mad, he often chases people around the house scratching at them and biting them until he decides he’s satisfied. I’ve thought about it before that maybe I’m just a bad owner and not realizing it, but after taking extra precaution to not piss my cat off to have the same thing happen, I think cats are just assholes. Obviously, I still love my cat (and dog), but as I’ve started to get more work to do, I've begun to realize how much of an inconvenience small things my cat does are.

Comments

  1. Your cat honestly sounds like one of those caricatures of grouchy old men with a separation complex. Maybe he likes you too much and wants to play? From my standpoint, the whole situation sounds kind of funny. I can't say much on the matter because I've never owned a cat or dog. The joke in my family is that the kids *are* the pets. However, I can see how annoying it is to step onto something wet with no warnng as well as the other things you've mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid, I grew up not being able to decide if I was a dog person or a cat person. Then. one time, I went to visit my cousins and they had a dog. I became attached to that dog. Every since then, I feel absolutely sure that I'm a dog person.
    Cats are definitely moodier than dogs. From what I know about cats, they're more quiet while dogs are more playful. It definitely depends on the person if you're a cat person or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I’ve always wanted a cat despite being more of a dog person. Like you said, I also think they’re small, soft and warm (usually). I can definitely relate to seeing pets become annoying as you get busier though. My dog, Westley, cannot go one second without a family member petting, feeding, or sitting by him. It starts to get annoying once you’ve given him your attention for a full hour and the second you go to do your work he begs you to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE PETS! I specifically really love dogs but cats are really cute too. Your cat sort of reminds me of Squidward from Spongebob which isn't a bad thing at all. He probably just imagines you and your dog as Patrick and Spongebob. Maybe that's why he's so moody. Has he tried to play the clarinet before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cat will walk right past me, go into my bathroom and meow until I pick him up. Then I sit down with him and after a couple minutes he just leaves. He also throws up way too much, he woke me p two nights in a row by puking on my bed, but I still love him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely more of a dog person just because I haven't had the greatest experiences with cats. When I was younger, my best friend had one and when I went to pet it, she scratched my face. Ever since then, I've always thought of cats as annoying little brats.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment